League In The News
Letter: Fla. legislators blasted for illegal redistricting
July 21, 2014
Line in the sand: FL legislature won’t repeal redistricting ruling
July 16, 2014
Public News Service
The political warning in a Florida redistricting ruling
July 15, 2014
Wall Street Journal
Winner and losers of the week in Florida politics
July 13, 2014
Tampa Bay Times
Redistricting ruling expected to make waves through state
July 11, 2014
My Fox Tampa Bay
League Urges Sensible Gun Laws
No joke. With minimal restrictions, it really is legal to set up a shooting range in your backyard in Florida. And because of our state's preemption laws on firearms (790.33), our local leaders can't do anything to stop it. Watch comedian Stephen Colbert's take on this issue and then get involved with the League's Gun Safety Committee! Contact Chair Patti Brigham today via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone at 407-797-2562.
Nine Reasons to Join Today!
LWVF is on the move, and your voice is needed to keep up the fight for a better Florida!
Here’s a brief list of the League's most recent accomplishments:
1. Participated in a lawsuit that blocked the state of Florida's attempts to illegally purge registered voters 90 days before an election.
2. Reduced gerrymandering by leading the charge for the Fair Districts amendments, which finally set clear rules for drawing political districts, and were voted into the Florida Constitution by 63% of voters.
3. Eliminated roadblocks to voting by demanding that the Legislature reinstate early voting days and the Sunday before Election Day, following the incredible delays, including 8-hour long lines in Miami, that voters faced during Election Day 2012.
4. Struck down unconstitutional restrictions on voter registration via a precedent-setting victory in U.S. federal court.
5. Helped place Florida's Water and Land Legacy Amendment on the November 2014 general election ballot; our members collected over 25,000 signed petitions throughout the state of Florida.
6. Lead the push for SUNRAIL -- Central Florida's new commuter rail network.
7. Initiated curbside recycling in St. Petersburg, as well as permission for citizens to speak in Orange County Commission meetings.
8. Successfully persuaded Florida voters to defeat 9 out of 11 amendments on the 2012 ballot, many of which would have severely eroded the rights of citizens and/or de-funded local governments.
9. Worked with statewide environmental groups to successfully pressure the Florida Department of Environmental Protection to halt the sale of state-owned conservation lands.
@LWVFloridaTweets by @LWVFlorida